Infrastructure and Construction
The Northland Dashboard
(Data source: Infometrics Regional Database)
This sector covers the range, from residential building through to major roading projects and associated service areas.
As with manufacturing, one industry (electricity and gas supply) accounts for over a third of the sector’s GDP contribution to the region, though only 6% of the jobs – indicating the high productivity value of that particular industry. In contrast, building construction and related services soak up almost 75% of the jobs in the sector, but generate about 40% of the sector’s GDP.
Building construction has been particularly hard hit by the recession, with an over 20% net loss in economic activity. The sector has shed 700 jobs in Northland in the last five years. This is a comparable number to the manufacturing sector; both sectors demonstrate similar slippage in GDP at a regional level compared to the national situation.
- Annual economic profiles 2012: Infometrics
- Quarterly economic monitor reporting December 2012: Infometrics
- Statement of Intent, October 2012 - June 2015 : Northland Inc
- Quarterly economic monitor reporting, September 2012: Infometrics
- Northland inland port/distribution hub - Pre-feasibility study, April 2009: Enterprise Northland